The mission of the Inspectorate for the Preparation and Certification of Seafarers is to accomplish the tasks assigned to represent and protect the interests of Ukraine in the issues of training, assessment and certification of seafarers; analysis of international and national experience in the field of training, assessment and competency and diploma of crew members; confirmation of the seafarers ‘qualification in the permanent state qualification commissions, as well as confirmation of the validity of the seafarers’ certificates certifying their qualification, as defined by the legislation.
In accordance with the tasks assigned:
- establishes permanent state qualification commissions to confirm the qualifications of seafarers;
- maintains a register of all documents issued in the territory of Ukraine which have expired or been extended or whose action has been suspended, or which have been annulled or declared lost or destroyed, and maintains a register of issued permits;
- confirms the validity of the documents;
- at the request of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine, reviews draft normative acts, standards, training programs and other documents on the preparation, assessment of competence and certification of seafarers, provides its comments and proposals to them;
- prepares and publishes analytical, reference, information, training, methodological, popular science and other materials on the training, assessment of competence and diploma of seafarers;
- at the request of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine organizes research and methodological work on improving the national system of training, assessment of competence and diploma of seafarers. Participates in their implementation.
- carries out on behalf of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine representation and protection in IMO of interests of Ukraine on questions of training, assessment of competence and diploma of seafarers, analyzes and agrees proposals of the ministries, other central executive bodies on consideration of these issues in IMO and submits generalized proposals to the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine;
- on behalf of the Ministry of Infrastructure prepares reports and other information in IMO, makes inquiries and answers about the validity of the documents of the seafarers certifying their qualification, as well as privileged permits to the authorized bodies and institutions of foreign countries;
- provides, on a contractual basis, to shipping companies and brokerage organizations for seafarers and other organizations, information on the validity of seafarers’ certificates attesting to their qualifications, and providing them with advisory services;
- performs certification of instructors of training facilities for training seafarers;
- issues seaman’s record books, certificates attesting diplomas
- performs other functions to perform the tasks assigned to the Inspectorate in accordance with the legislation in force
- carries out in accordance with the legislation the knowledge of employees of the subjects of transportation of dangerous goods in the field of sea and river transport.